Coulee Collaboration Award
This describes the purpose of the Coulee Collaboration Award grant making program, eligibility criteria, and the procedures to follow in submitting your proposal. Please review these guidelines carefully and submit your proposal in the requested format. Important Dates:
- Program Duration: March 31 - December 31, 2016
- Letter of Intent Deadline: July 31, 2016
- Grant Submission Deadline: December 31, 2016
- Announcement of Award: March 23, 2017
The Project: "Early Childhood Literacy Initiative"
The purpose of our "Early Childhood Literacy Initiative" Program is to encourage collaboration between and among non-profit, for-profit and governmental organizations/entities in the La Crosse County area, toward achieving the goal of positively impacting early childhood literacy in La Crosse County.
This grant of $100,000, will be awarded to the grant applicant whose proposal most effectively demonstrates how the grant funds will be used to affect the objectives listed below.
We will give priority to projects that:
- Foster collaboration among different businesses, for-profit and non-profit organizations, community agencies, and City/County government.
- Reflect a collective and comprehensive strategy for identifying how to improve 4th Grade Reading proficiency scores for non-White minorities, including, without limitation:
- Increasing the number of books per pre-school household to four or more
- Increasing the number of hours spent in one-on-one picture-book or story-book reading with pre-schoolers to 1,000 or more
- Increasing the number of vocabulary words learned and employed by pre-schoolers to an evidence-based readiness-level upon entrance into kindergarden
- Evaluating pre-schoolers’ level of reading and pre-reading skills to develop a plan of action to address noted deficiencies
- Recommending strategies to ensure that nutrition or other medical deficiencies do not impair the desire or ability to learn at the earliest stages of development
- Addressing other barriers to early childhood literacy which are research-based and practical within the context of the La Crosse County service area.